Who Owns Red Bull? Red Bull GmbH, the Austrian company that primarily manufactures and sells the energy drink Red Bull, is owned by Mr. Dietrich Mateschitz and the late Mr. Chaleo Yoovidhya’s family. Dietrich Mateschitz, an Austrian, co-founded Red Bull with Chaleo Yoovidhya, a Thai businessman, in 1987. Mateschitz holds approximately 49% ownership of the company. After Chaleo Yoovidhya’s death in 2012, his family inherited his share. Chalerm Yoovidhya, Chaleo’s eldest son, currently represents the family’s ownership in the company.
Red Bull is a popular energy drink brand that was created by Austrian entrepreneur Dietrich Mateschitz and Thai businessman Chaleo Yoovidhya, the founder of the Thai energy drink, Krating Daeng. The Red Bull brand originated in the mid-1980s when Mateschitz and Yoovidhya decided to collaborate on the idea of developing a modern energy drink. The partnership began in 1984 when Mateschitz discovered Krating Daeng during a business trip to Thailand. He found the drink effective in curing his jetlag and decided to team up with Chaleo Yoovidhya to modify the recipe and taste to cater to a global audience.
Together they founded the company Red Bull GmbH and launched the international Red Bull Energy Drink in 1987. Ownership of the company has been divided among key partners since its founding. Initially, Dietrich Mateschitz and Chaleo Yoovidhya each owned a 49% stake in the company, while the remaining 2% was owned by Yoovidhya’s son, Chalerm. Thus, the Yoovidhya family collectively held a 51% controlling share in the company.
Chaleo Yoovidhya passed away in March 2012, and his stake in the company was passed on to his family. The Yoovidhya family still owns a majority stake in Red Bull, while Dietrich Mateschitz holds the other significant portion. In summary, Red Bull was created through a partnership between Dietrich Mateschitz and Chaleo Yoovidhya, and ownership of the company has remained within their families. The Yoovidhya family maintains a controlling stake in Red Bull, while Mateschitz holds a significant portion as well.
Who was the original founder?
Red Bull was originally founded by Austrian entrepreneurs Dietrich Mateschitz and Chaleo Yoovidhya from Thailand in 1984. Mateschitz was born in Austria in 1944. He obtained a degree in marketing from the Vienna University of Economics and Business Administration and started his professional career working for various international consumer goods companies, such as Unilever, Jacobs Coffee, and Blendax.
In the early 1980s, Mateschitz was on a business trip to Thailand when he discovered Krating Daeng, a popular energy drink in the region created by Chaleo Yoovidhya. Mateschitz noticed that Krating Daeng helped him overcome jet lag and thought it had potential for global appeal. He partnered with Chaleo, and together, they adapted the formula and branding for the Western market, creating the now-iconic Red Bull brand.
With an initial investment of around $500,000 each, Mateschitz and Yoovidhya launched Red Bull GmbH. Mateschitz used his experience in marketing to develop the brand positioning, logo, and advertising strategy, while Yoovidhya and his family were responsible for the initial development and production of the energy drink. Red Bull quickly became popular, thanks to its distinctive marketing approach and sponsorships of various sports and entertainment events.
Today, Red Bull is a global brand, and Dietrich Mateschitz is one of the richest people in Austria, with a net worth of over $20 billion.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
1. Who owns Red Bull?
Red Bull is owned by its founders, Austrian entrepreneur Dietrich Mateschitz and Thai businessman Chaleo Yoovidhya. The ownership is split between the two families, with the Yoovidhya family owning a 51% majority.
2. When was Red Bull founded?
Red Bull was founded in 1984 in Austria after Dietrich Mateschitz and Chaleo Yoovidhya decided to bring the Thai energy drink Krating Daeng to a global market.
3. How did Red Bull become so popular?
Red Bull’s success is largely attributed to its unique marketing strategy that focuses on sponsoring and creating events in the realms of extreme sports, music, and gaming. This has helped create a brand identity that resonates with customers and builds a loyal consumer base.
4. What is Red Bull’s market share?
Red Bull is the leader in the global energy drink market, accounting for about 43% of the market share as of 2021. Its closest competitor is Monster Energy with around 36% market share.
5. What are the main ingredients in Red Bull?
Red Bull’s main ingredients include caffeine, taurine, B-group vitamins, sugars, and alpine water. These ingredients, along with its signature taste, provide consumers with an energy boost and increased focus.
Sources for More Information
- Red Bull Official Website
- Forbes – Dietrich Mateschitz Profile
- Fortune – Red Bull GmbH Profile
- Business Insider – How Red Bull Got Its Wings